Beyond the Red Pencil (2007)
Date: Saturday, March 31, 2007 – 9:00am to 6:00pm
Location: North Seattle Community College
Full conference brochure here.
The first conference for editors organized by the Northwest Independent Editors Guild was a big success! It was attended by 140 editors from cities throughout Washington and Oregon, including Bellingham, Kent, Olympia, Port Townsend, Portland/Vancouver, Redmond, and Seattle.
Guild membership numbered 189 at this time. The Guild’s cofounders, Sherri Schultz and Phyllis Hatfield, were honored with special gifts commemorating the Guild’s 10th anniversary.
- A keynote address on career development by Amy Einsohn, author of The Copyeditor’s Handbook
- Workshops by Guild members and other noted editors: Kathy Bradley, Beth Chapple, Kris Fulsaas, Ann Gosch, Phyllis Hatfield, Niquette Kelcher, Rosanna Mattingly, Karalynn Ott, Barbara Sjoholm, Jon Stahl, and Julie Van Pelt
- Discussion sessions moderated by experienced editors: Amy Smith Bell, Nancy Burkhalter, Janet Epstein, Waverly Fitzgerald, Brie Gyncild, Susan Hodges, June Ireland, Priscilla Long, Paula Rudberg Lowe, Debby Nagusky, and Andrea Ptak
- An opportunity to meet and network with other editors, peruse other editors’ materials at the Editors Showcase, participate in a lunchtime spelling bee, and browse word-related books at the University Book Store’s table
- A celebration of the Guild’s tenth anniversary, including a cake in the shape of The Chicago Manual of Style
- A closing social hour
The Guild received numerous positive responses, and 85% of attendees submitting an evaluation said they would “definitely” come to the next conference.
“Presenters smart, enthusiastic, engaging.”
“Thanks for ‘out of the box’ session.”
“Liked stories of actual clients, good way to learn.”
“Much more than I thought it would be, lots of info.”
“Speaking at your conference is a wonderful opportunity to meet an extremely enthusiastic, talented, generous, and kind group of people and visit a beautiful, exciting city.” —Amy Einsohn
What people particularly liked
“The variety of topics.”
“Excellent advice in all workshops.”
“Meeting, contacts, trading job suggestions…”
Special thanks to the many volunteers who helped produce the Guild’s first conference: Justine Banas, Patti Bezzo, Allana Joy Bourne, Nancy Burkhalter, Rick Chan, Linda Clifton, Janet Epstein, Robyn M Fritz, Ann Gosch, Colleen Haiber, Randy Hilfman, Liz McGehee, Anne Moreau, Dan Murphy, Jason Petz, Helen Schinske, Suzanne Schmalzer, Sherri Schultz, Marianne Streich, Barrie Trinkle, Martha Wagner, and Julie Zander.
Conference committee: Marguerite Langlois and Bill Thorness (co-chairs), Beth Chapple, Kyra Freestar, and Karen Webster