Beyond the Red Pencil No. 2 (2009)
Date: Saturday, March 28, 2009 – 8:00am to 5:00pm
Location: North Seattle Community College
Full conference brochure here
A good time was had by all at the second biennial conference for editors organized by the Guild. Though most attendees were from the Seattle area, we welcomed editors from as far away as Vancouver, B.C., and the San Francisco Bay Area.
Of the 124 editors who attended, about half were Guild members. More than a quarter of the Guild’s 220 members attended.
- A keynote address by Sheila Bender, an author, developmental editor, and founder of www.writingitreal.com, a website that focuses on the personal essay. She spoke on the working relationship between editor and writer.
- A choice of workshops:
- “The Big Picture: Structural Editing of Longer Manuscripts,” by Barbara Sjoholm
- “Taking Control of Microsoft Word,” by Hilary Powers
- “When Work Becomes a Pain in the *#$,” by Sevak Kroesen, D.C., and Jain Rutherford
- “Back to the Future: Editing for Online vs. Print Publications,” by Anne Dujmovic
- “Dealing with Problem Clients,” by Michelle Goodman
- “Marking Up the Screen: Acrobat for Editors,” by Wendy Katz
- “Rigid Rules vs. Gentle Guidelines: Taming Miss Thistlebottom,” by Kim Runciman
- Two discussion sessions in which editors talked informally with volunteer facilitators:
- “Tooting Your Own Horn,” with subtopics on methods of self-promotion
- “Wearing Many Hats,” with subtopics on different roles editors play
- An opportunity to meet and network with other editors, look at editors’ materials, participate in a spelling bee, and browse word-related books at the University Book Store’s table.
“I am very impressed with the Editors Guild.”
“I liked talking with other editors, exchanging ideas and experiences.”
What people particularly liked
“Engaging and knowledgeable keynote and session speakers; good to meet fellow editors/writers.”
“The combination of education and networking/connecting with others.”
“Everyone was so friendly. I loved the sense of community.”
Many thanks to all our volunteers who helped with planning and production both before and during the conference!
Conference committee: Ann Gosch (chair), Kyra Freestar, Marianne Streich, Nancy Wick