I most often work directly with authors to help them reach their writing and publishing goals. I am supportive, encouraging, and compassionate, but I am also honest, realistic, straightforward, and constructive about ways in which an author's work might be improved. I am careful to point out what's working as well as what isn't. I look at the big picture as well as the nitty gritty. I offer specific, concrete suggestions for revising a manuscript to increase its chances of publication or prepare it for self-publication, as well as to educate the writer so they continue to grow and improve at their craft.
My clients have published work in anthologies and literary journals; garnered agents and publishing contracts; won substantial grants; and self-published their books, either for sale or for their families.
As an author myself, I know how difficult it can be to put your creative work out into the world for feedback or hopeful publication, and I understand the importance of reassurance and positive assistance that must balance rejection in a writer's life.
- Tess Thompson’s bestselling series: romantic suspense, historical romance
- Jane S. Morrissey's paranormal romance series
- Everett Maroon’s LGBTQ humorous memoir (also a love story)
- Anne McTiernan's coming-of-age memoir
- Ingrid Ricks’s life-affirming memoirs (health/medical challenges, religion/spirituality, coming-of-age)
- Margot Page’s and Alison Krupnick's humorous travel memoirs
- Abigail Carter’s women's fiction/metaphysical genre
- Ken Ashdown's self-help guide about conflict resolution for creative people
- Joseph Shaub's self-help guide about saving your marriage or ending it constructively
I also assist with manuscript submissions (where and how to send out work), indie publishing, proposals/query letters, and grant/residency applications.
Click here to see my Portfolio of Clients and their beautiful book covers (includes testimonials).
- Certificates in Editing and Literary Fiction, University of Washington Extension
- Degrees in Telecommunication (School of Journalism) and English
- Graduate of Artist Trust's Professional Development Program for Writers
- Judged applications for Hedgebrook, PNWA contests, 4Culture King County grants
- Worked as Promotion Director for Seattle’s NPR station and held other advertising/marketing positions, which involved extensive writing and editing
- Volunteered as a Junior High School Hallway Monitor (which means I can handle anything)
- Edmonds Writers’ Conference
- Hedgebrook Women’s Writing Retreat
- Hugo House Literary Arts Center
- King County Libraries
- Northwest Bookfest
- Northwest Independent Editors Guild
- Pacific Northwest Writers Association
- Whidbey Island Writers Conference
Published, Award-winning Author
- First Place National Society of Newspaper Columnists Blog Contest
- Top Ten Erma Bombeck Contest
- Two Pushcart Prize nominations
- Over eighty published personal essays and short stories
- Regular contributor, Full Grown People
- Featured in four Seal Press anthologies
Click here to visit my website for list of awards, publishing credits, and links to writing samples.
Areas of Interest and Expertise
Romance, humor, and memoir are my editing oeuvre—a word I can spell but not pronounce. I love to mix my client list up with fiction and nonfiction, escape/beach reads and self-help, literary and genre, optimistic and apocalyptic.
- memoir, personal essay
- novels, short stories
- humor, comedy
- romance (romcom, women's, paranormal, suspense, gay, m/m)
- women's fiction, feminism, body image, gender roles
- erotic fiction, erotica (preferably with a literary bent), sexuality
- literary fiction
- self-help/how-to guides
- Hawaii (familiarity with Hawaiian spelling and pidgin)
- birds, birding, birders
- travel, road trips
- motorcyling, motorcycles, motorcyclists
- foster care, adoption, motherhood, parenting, families, marriage, ADHD
- infertility, miscarriage
- Baby Boomers
Surprise me with something different! I love learning about new things.
Some of my Favorite Authors
Erma Bombeck, Nora Ephron, Shirley Jackson, Daphne DuMaurier, the Brontes, Carrie Fisher, David Sedaris, Angela Carter, Georgette Heyer, Mary Stewart, Elinor Lipman, Harper Fox, Josh Lanyon, Robyn Carr, Erica Jong, Cheryl Strayed, Gina Barreca, Barbara Kingsolver, Molly Gloss, Anais Nin, Elizabeth Gilbert, Patti Smith, Bill Bryson, Neil Gaiman. Perennial book favorites: The Iliad, Beowulf, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, Deliverance, Frankenstein, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, and Auntie Mame. Recently I enjoyed The Rosie Project, and I adored Major Pettigrew's Last Stand.