Red Pencil in the Woods 2013
Date: Saturday, October 26, 2013 – 8:30am to 5:30pm
Location: Bastyr University,
14500 Juanita Drive NE,
Full conference brochure here
The fourth biennial Red Pencil in the Woods™ conference—the nation’s largest conference designed by and for independent editors—was a great success, with nearly 200 attendees from Canada to California.
The honoree for extraordinary contributions to the Northwest Independent Editors Guild and the larger editorial community was board vice president Kyra Freestar.
More than half of the attendees were members of the Guild, and more than a third of the Guild’s 306 members attended the conference.
- Keynote address and follow-on session by Bay Area independent editor and publishing insider Alan Rinzler, whose 50-year career in the book business has included editing and publishing the works of Northwest luminary Tom Robbins, Hunter S. Thompson, Toni Morrison, Clive Cussler, and others. He has held top editing positions at Simon & Schuster, Macmillan, Bantam, the Grove Press, and Rolling Stone magazine as well as its book division, Straight Arrow.
- Nuances of editing for a global audience, with David B. Schlosser
Editing for the (new) Web, with Niquette Kelcher
- Creating and maintaining a sustainable editing business, with Beth Jusino and Ina Chang
- Advanced line-editing immersion, with Jason Black
- Advanced MS Word editing tools, with Bill Thorness (handout)
- Discussion groups featuring experts on collaborative editing (Kyra Freestar and Connie Chaplan), working as a managing editor (Kerrie Maynes), editing for social media (Amanda Vail), editing food writing (Kris Fulsaas), and editing for STEM concepts (David B. Schlosser)
- Fiction editing, with Ingrid Emerick and Leslie Miller of Girl Friday Productions
- IT help desk for editors, with Tim Hannon
- Spelling bee, with Randy Hilfman
“Informative. Inspiring. Encouraging.”
“Congratulations on organizing another great Red Pencil in the Woods! That was a fantastic conference, just like the last one.”
“Extremely well organized … I got more benefit and fun out of it than I expected.”
“Thank you for putting on such a fantastic editing conference once again. Although it’s a bit of a hike to come over from Vancouver Island, it’s well worth the effort. I’m already looking forward to the next Red Pencil in 2015.”
“Saturday was a fantastic event. From an attendee (and speaker) perspective, it all ran so smoothly, was full of great information, was paced just right, and was wonderfully inspiring.” —Beth Jusino
“Red Pencil in the Woods 2013 was a terrific conference: fabulously organized, and an embarrassment of riches in the topics, presenters, attendees, and learning opportunities. It was also a lot of fun—a rare moment to enjoy the fellowship of colleagues who understand what I do for a living, and who can share ideas and experiences with humor and grace. My only regret is that it happens only every other year.” —David B. Schlosser
Storify, a curated collection of tweets and photos from the conference.
Thanks to our conference coordinator, Guild member Elisabeth Rinaldi; planning committee members Rob Esene, Lisa Gordanier, Jennifer Hager, Rich Isaac, Christy Karras, Kathleen Sidwell, Cynthia White, and Carrie Wicks; graphic designer Jason Petz; and advisors Waverly Fitzgerald, Elizabeth Johnson, Beth Jusino, Sherri Schultz, and Bill Thorness.